"God Our Father" by Minister Dionne Watkins

God our Father


One of the definitions for father is a man in relation to his child or children.  It may be
hard for some of us to grasp the concept of God our Father especially when so many of us come from homes where our fathers were absent, or their presence wasn’t the ideal picture of what we desired from them and needed from them.


I want to encourage you upon today to rest in the fact that God is a father of the fatherless (Psalm 68:5).  He wants to be in a relationship with you so that you may know as sons and daughters the depths of a father’s love.


Our innate abilities to decipher between good and bad, and right or wrong gives us insight concerning the qualities and characteristics of a good father.  We know what a good father looks like even if we didn’t have one.


When I think of a good father, I think about a father who provides for his children.  I am reminded of Matthew 7:11, “if ye then being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?”


My natural father was far from the ideal father, he did things as a father that left me
broken in places, yet he always provided the material things I needed.


I do not believe my natural father set his heart to break my spirit, I believe he was just as we all are before we come to Jesus; born into sin and shaped in iniquity.  Hence Jesus’s statement, “if we being evil, know how to give good gifts.”  My father was not all bad, all the time, there were times when he was nice, times when he was kind, times when he literally gave good gifts, but my father was flawed because of the fallen nature of man.


God Our father is not flawed, he is perfect and righteous in every way.  I have asked God the Father for a plethora of things and one of those things was to be made whole, to be healed from all the pain and disappointments of my past that would hinder me from being all God has called me to be and he has answered just as he said he would.


I have tasted and I have seen that the Lord is good, blessed is the man that trusteth in him (Psalm 34:8). What is your idea of a good father?  Perhaps it’s a father you can count on to be there for you no matter what, take comfort in Isaiah 41:10 “fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous hand”.


Maybe your idea of a good father is a father who is caring then know that you can cast all your cares upon him (your heavenly father) for he cares for you (I Peter 5:7). Whatever your idea of a good father is God our Father will be that for you and even more.


Keep in mind just as with our natural father’s, God the Father has expectations concerning his children, that we should be obedient and allow him to lead and guide us, take heed to the words of Solomon in the book of Proverbs; “hear, ye children, the instruction of a father and attend to know understanding..he taught me also and said unto me, let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live (vv. 1, 4).”


God Our father wants us to live abundant lives, he came that we would have life

and life more abundantly (John 10:10)). God our Father wants what’s best for us his children, he loves us so much that he laid down his life for us (John 3:16), he provides for us and supplies all our needs according to his riches in glory (Philippians 4:19), he protects us being our refuge and our strength (Psalm 46:1), he instructs us (John 16:13), he chastises us and he delights in us (Proverbs 3:12).


When we trust in God Our Father and walk upright before him, no good thing
will he withhold from us (Psalm 84:11). 
God Our Father wants to wrap his loving arms around you, trust him. He will not disappoint you.


He will be the best dad you can have; will you trust him?


Written By; Min. Dionne N. Watkins





Comments

Popular Posts